Holistic Health & Vitality ~ Journey to wellbeing
Immune System Health:
The immune system is truly holistic, functioning harmoniously with all body systems to support health through the regeneration of cells and the prevention of harmful elements causing damage and dis-ease.
Supporting the immune system is critical for systemic good health, and the best approach to supporting immune function is to establish wholistic practices; a combination of several therapies, such as a wholesome diet, herbs, detoxification, self-care practices; stress management, exercise, to support you as a whole person.
Here are some tips to help optimise your natural immune defence:
- Eat a whole foods, plant-based diet for optimal nutrition approach for general wellbeing and resilience.
- Eat a rainbow! A variety of different coloured fruits and vegetables for their nutrient dense and antioxidant properties.
- Avoid sugar, sugary beverages and all refined carbohydrates such as white flour; bread, pasta, biscuits, cakes and confectionery which promote blood glucose imbalances inflammation and reduced immune activity.
- Avoid trans fats; typically crisps, biscuits, pies, cakes and fried foods – shown in many studies to increase chronic inflammation which weakens the immune system.
- Adequate hydration plays a vital role in the body, including transporting nutrients along with oxygen to body cells and removing waste from the body. Dehydration and its negative effects on mental and physical function can be avoided by drinking at least 2lts of water throughout the day.
- Exercise is vital to support a robust, healthy immune system. When well and to maintain wellness it’s vital to exercise at least 30 minutes every day to increase circulation which provides oxygen and nutrients to your body and carries waste away from your tissues.
- Keep active: If your function is reduced or your job sedentary, ensure that you get up and move about; stretches, hip, neck, limb rotations, at regular intervals throughout the day. This can provide great benefit.
- Spending time in nature. Whether you spend time at the beach, walk through the forest, cycle in green open spaces, by spending time in nature you can breathe in fresh air, get some sunlight exposure for your best source of vitamin D, reduce stress levels and enhance immune system function.
- Chronic stress can lead to the suppression of the immune system. Learn and apply daily relaxation techniques to help develop resilience to this modern lifestyle, which exposes us to less rest, more mental overload and a greater influx of toxins.
- Self-care practices such as meditation, breathing exercises, outings to beautiful places, can promote wellbeing and a more resilient stress response.
- Laughter and social connections. Connecting with joy and connecting with others can be profoundly stress reducing and support immune function. Laughter triggers the release of endorphins, the body’s natural feel-good chemicals, promoting an overall sense of well-being and improving immunity.
- Adequate sleep plays a vital role in the maintenance of systemic physical and cognitive functions. Sleep loss and chronic insomnia have been reported to be strongly associated with emotional dysfunction, mood disorders, and reduced cognitive, memory, and physical performance. Support your body to prepare for restorative sleep by avoiding late nights
Click here for a series of short videos from the College of Naturopathic Medicine with information about the immune system, and further details on what you can do to help optimise your natural immune defence.